When Taylor and I were dating, we spent a lot of time in Spokane. Our favorite place to eat dinner was P.F. Chang’s, and we always order their orange chicken. When we first got married we probably had this every date night by Taylor’s request.
We have also made this recipe gluten-free by using rice flour and leaving the soy sauce out.
2 chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
5 cloves minced garlic
6 green onions, sliced
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
5 tablespoons Sriracha sauce (Taylor likes 6 1/2 TBS)
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cup flour
1 grated orange peel
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, sautee green onions, garlic, and 1 TBS of oil.
2. Add tomato sauce, water, sugar, Sriracha, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the remaining vegetable oil.
4. Beat egg in a medium bowl. Pour flower into another bowl. Coat the chicken pieces by dropping them into the flour a few at a time, then into the egg mixture and then back into the flour again.
5. Cook the chicken in small batches in the oil until lightly golden brown on all sides. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all the chicken is cooked.
6. Discard the oil from the skillet and then place the skillet back on the burner over medium heat. Add the orange peel and cook for a couple of minutes or until the orange is fragrant. Next, add the chicken and stir till well coated. Mix in the sauce, cook till thoroughly heated.